BBMIP 3.0 or as I like to call it the vehicle update

I have been slowly replacing old models, and slipped in the crown vic in the last CU, but the real big one is this one. Couple of years ago before I really started to model a lot I got Robert to make a new jeep. This was before the steam release and with all the replacement I ended up doing, I didn’t have the time or experience compiling to really do it justice. Well while working on the STU stuff I made the trucks and a lot of the skybox props and ended up fixing up a lot of the old source game models so they all matched the style of the CSGO ones (i.e. very dark interiors,little detail and very dirty windows). These include the big gray van and the little utility truck. Those were released with the last CU. I had been using the parking lot in QE for my testing and noticed some things that really didn’t fit in with the rest of the updates I was doing.
For instance. Hummer didn’t have a dedicated interior. This was something I left out when I redid those models a couple of years ago, at the time it was detail you probably couldn’t see but ended up sticking out with all the changes and the new CSM.

So I did a quick interior and fixed up the smoothing groups. Originally I did the remakes from a very old model we had from 2006 but I hadn’t been compiling my own models. This is the final result. Makes a big difference when you see the before and after IMO.

M35 already had a decent darker interior so that didn’t need any changes, but the windows were different so redid those.

So where is the Joop you ask? Good question!
When I posted my WIPs in the dev forum it started out with just me doing it for practice. The biggest hurdle was the number of replacement models it was going to require. There was a clean/dity one, open door shot up one (with 2 textures) crashed one and a burnt one. Luckily 3 of the 4 were already done. it just required lots of textures and planning. When Robert made the original model he got burned out making it (its a very nice model) and I volunteered to do the interior to help out. Since then we changed the look of the vehicles (see above). This actually (for once) worked out better for me because I had UV’d the model interior with the idea that it would be fully textured at a high resolution because this is pretty much the signature vehicle for us. So to help make all the vehicles blend I used the wheels from the CSGO models you see in STU. What I ended up with is this. Note these are mostly the WIP images from 2 months ago and they get better as they go. Please DO NOT CC THEM.
Base model texture with temp windows and temp normal/spec renders in toolbag2. The original model had solid top lights and front lights (this was to help with the alpha sorting issue the staggered single lights had on Adam’s Joop). After playing a ton of the division when it released I liked the effect they did with their vehicles. So I had to change things around so that there was glass/plastic overs over all the front and top lights. When I opened that up (with it being transparent) I needed some detail so I added spinners (not working) and other lights to the top set.

The cool thing was Robert had made it modular for a civilian version with shared UVs so you now get a 4 fer.

The problem I ran into was one of the versions needed to have blood all over because it was all shot up. I compromised and made the interior dark gray and light gray 2 toned so it would show up.

So the fun began. I made a really high resolution bullet hole texture and then ended up trying 3 different sizes keeping in mind I was going to shrink the texture when I got done (its 2k in game but 4k in renders) but I wanted them to be readable not blobs. That carried over to the windshield. The texture was small in comparison and if were resized would look terrible. So I compromised and made the texture bigger (only 1024) but modeled in the holes into the window.
At this point I had most of the stuff done, but still needed to have a wrecked one. Since I was still working on all the different textures Robert was nice enough to model it with engine details which you may or may not be able to see in that shot. Believe me its all there and looks very cool. Also at this point the modeled front lights are showing up and they are broken with separate broken glass. The normal maps are getting closer to final here. Also note the collapsed airbag… I had to model that in there its my favorite part.

So we end up with this.

Well how does it match up in game? Glad you asked!

These are all from my test area plus one from LB. Please do not comment on the sorting problems with the windows there is nothing I can do but make it worse (trust me I have tried lots of things)

Well you are probably thinking he forgot the damn burned up one…

Heavily influenced by the division in the way they did burned out detail. The seats are burned away so are the tires. But after looking at this for several days and going through lots of references I didn’t like how I picked the seats and tires to burn out but not the plastic bumper cover and wheel well splash guards and the dash etc. So back to the modeling board…oh and I had that groovy engine…

SO I’m completely worn out. That was basically about 90 hours worth of work but it was fun trying new things. Textures will probably still get tweaked but it’s mostly finished. Is it perfect not close, but I think it’s an improvement from what we had before and matches nicely with the rest of the vehicles. Now as for that ugly red truck…

Oh forgot to mention who was responsible for what. Robert did the base models as mentioned I did all changes and interior models and the burnt model. All textures by me and the burnt substance was by Bard our mad (one of 2) texture geniuses.
Happy Memorial Day!

Wow these are awesome. Congrats on a job well done. :smiley:

Nice! I’ve kind of been waiting for a better Jeep; the interiors in the old one are pretty basic.

Fantastic work guys!

Some details or suggestions that will probably turn out as not needed from me:

• With the dirty windows, shouldn’t the tires be dirty? At least the side that is touching the road.

-And the burned jeep, i get the fact that the plastic, leather, wood? and rubber mealted or burned away,
but where’s the melted material? Unless the car has been burning at constant heat for like 10 hours, there should be
black hardened charcoal goo beneath the bumpers, on the wheels and soo on.

Which part of don’t CC did you not understand? The tires are dirty you were looking at WIPS that weren’t final renders and the one pic that was a final render has dirty tires (you missed the fact that I stated there was a clean and dirty version). When you drive a car on the road you arent going to have filty tires it gets worn off, and the windows aren’t dirty per se they have accumulated grime look at your windows the next time you fill up your gas tank. There is also a dirty window version.

As for the sludge, none of the other vehicles have it and if it was included it would limit where you can place the model. If anything a separate model would be needed for the ground.

That and the sludge from a burned out car is not always there, Ihave seen an old truck burn to a crisp that was similar to the joop. (railroad work truck), all that was bellow it was a pile of ash, even the plastic was reduced to ash.

All depends on burn time…most of that sludge is probably from water being poured on it and it only half burning.

Nice models! I like your new WIPS updates style ,that you are not only show us the screens but share your ideas,thoughts during the developemnt, about the process of their creation.Now it’s just my two cents, but isn’t it would be more logical to have a desert camo humvees and trucks since the incident was happened in desert and camo can help a lot in engagements,because it’s instantly come to mind when I think about the Iraq and Persian Gulf wars and all those desert camo hammers.I’m not criticize you,it’s just a suggestion.

It’s all looking great!
Man, those windshield wipers in the third pic blend in a lot. Couldn’t see them until I zoomed in the picture, so I almost asked about it!

Holy shit. Awesome work!

Awesome models! I especially like the security jeep in all its iterations. Thanks for taking your time to show some of your awesome work off!

I do not know what CC stands for. (criticizing comments?)
One thing i’ll admit, i forgot to emphasize that the “dirty tires” effect was being asked about the military vehicles, not the jeep.
I never said that the tires need accumulated layer of dirt on them like the windows or whatever you misinterpreted from my comment.

However you see it fit, but some burning residue has to be beneath the car, otherwise it looks weird, at least to me.

Great work, I particularly like the new police jeep, it’s just way above the older. Super nice.

But gotta admit, I think that there should be some ash or something under the burned jeep too. It feels like it’s missing some details otherwise, even though that will involve some limitations apparently… : ,As for the sludge, none of the other vehicles have it and if it was included it would limit where you can place the model. If anything a separate model would be needed for the ground.,). Whatever is best.

You can improve the model of Osprey https://imgur.com/a/oGdiG ? Near it does not look very good .In addition, if you make detailed interior, you really help the team that makes the Black mesa : Opposing Force cause they dont have modeller

It would be awesome if you could get vehicles into the destroyed state by using explosive weapons on them

You aren’t supposed to see his interior since he does appear only in scenes where you are far enough of seeing his inside part,however I do agree about the pilots and his outside part a bit undetailed compared to the new security jeeps.They can’t help OBM team since it will cause a lot of copyright problems which may be caused by that decision,also they can look at the original Opposing Force design and other military games if they need it.

Its not OMB team look https://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa-opposing-force
Here is a theard Black Mesa: Opposing Force (Half-Life: Opposing Force Remake)

You can use the model of the Humvee from l4d2 as a base because it is more detailed compared with your model from 2006
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=358739945&searchtext=

I don’t know much about them,I thought there are only one team and from what I heard, they had a lot of copyright problems in the past with their maps judging by the comments in their topic on this forum.So we can’t take their work seriously because I saw on their Moddb page some maps like Communication Detour and they seriously wanted to implement them into the storyline and some maps that were created by russian mapper.

There is 2 team now
Tripemine studios https://tripminestudios.com/forum/portal.php that make pperation Black mesa and Guard Duty
And Black Mesa: Opposing Force Dev Team that make Black Mesa Opposing force

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.