Use of sound effects question

no clue where to post stuff yet.
So I’m new to these forums though I’ve been following Back Mesa since before it’s Steam release and I’m getting more comfortable with Hammer but I’ve also been working on Making things for Doom as well and I had a thought of using sound effects from BMS in a custom Doom map but I hate the idea of stepping on toes and I’m still learning these forums, I couldn’t find a simple answer but could I use the BMS sfx in my project or is that a big no no.

Sorry if this was put in the wrong topic.

If I’m understanding your question correctly, general sound effects for the game can be located in bms_sounds_misc_dir.vpk, which can be found in bms under your Black Mesa directory (typically found in [Drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Black Mesa\bms)

I would recommend using GCFScape from Nem’s Tools archive to open vpk files with. If you’re on Windows 10 it should install the .NET framework necessary while running the .exe itself.

Remember to enable associating .vpk and .gcf files with GCFScape while installing.

As for permission to use them, I believe they’re all royalty free stock sounds - as I’ve found most of them online for purchase - so you should be free to use them at your leisure, I think. The only caviat is iirc you can’t distribute the full quality sounds, which won’t apply to you because the ones present in BM have all been compressed to source standard 44.1 khz, and I’m pretty sure Doom’s standard rate is even lower.

Devs, feel free to correct me on any of this if I’m wrong.

In all honesty, the sounds are from the mod version I had gotten before the steam release, I probably needed to mention that in the post, though the sounds seem and sound the same.
I just want to be sure everything’s alright as the actual audio importing should be as simple as creating a replacement entry in a tool like Slade so Doom can use it since they’re wav files, the hard part was getting over anxiety to ask permission.

If I recall correctly, the mod release was made with a Creative Commons license that allowed for non-commercial use with attribution, so if you’re sourcing from the mod, you should be in the clear as long as you credit the assets to Crowbar Collective. Double-check the license.txt in your installation to confirm this, but it should be fine.

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.