Introducing The Test Chamber, The Black Mesa Livestream Show

Hey guys!

I’m Joe ‘Fr0z3nR’ Radak, Multiplayer Level designer for Black Mesa. Launch has been totally wicked, and thats all because of you guys, so thank you so much. Some of you have noticed that since launch we’ve been really open and active across community fronts: this forum, reddit, steam forums, ingame, facepunch and more. This is something that we at Crowbar have wanted to do for a while: be more active within the community and break that iron veil we had during pre-steam development. We have a lot more community events planned for the future but, I’m happy to announce one of our recurring events now, The Test Chamber.

What is The Test Chamber?
The Test Chamber is a regular livestream that I will be hosting every-other week. For each episode, the first half of the stream will have either community mod spotlights or artwork, chats about development updates, preview of content patches, and more. Whatever remaining time we have, myself and whoever else is on the stream will pop onto a server where you can come play some MP with us … if you can find the server we’re on! (MUH HAAA MUUHHA HA HA cough cough). That can also run as a pseudo Q&A session for whatever topic we were talking about during the stream.
What do I need from you?
Suggestions, ideas, topics! Do you think this format works? We want the communities feedback on this stream.

To review:
A livestream show, every-other-week. Time/Day to be determined.
Hour long. First half is topic of the week, second half is community MP play
Community Mod Spotlights or/and Artwork, Development updates, content patch previews, and more.

So this is our current plan. We’d like to start doing this in the next week or so, once we get a good idea of this is a format ya’ll will like. Let us know in this thread.

EDIT: The stream will happen at our official twitch channel, twitch.tv/blackmesagame

Sounds like an interesting idea, maybe I’ll think of some stuff and shoot some ideas. How long do you think this will last?

Like to keep it going as long as we can.

With +8 on the likes, I’m going to assume that this is generally being well recieved.

Banned for double posting.

Crap :frowning:

One word posts. Ban him!

This sounds like an excellent idea. I look forward the the first broadcast, given that it’s at a reasonable time.

One question at this point; will there be a place to view streams after they are over? In case we happen to miss one or so.

All VoD’s will be recorded on Twitch.

I will also be recording the first half of the show and have it up on a youtube channel a few days later. (It won’t end up like the first MP stream a month ago :smiley: )

I can’t wait for this to start, would there be a possible thread to post questions in before a stream (like a master sticker Q&A thread) The guys over at epic games use this format for their UE4 & UT4 streams and I feel it works well as you’re not being bombarded by similar questions and thus making more use of the Q&A segment.

Looking forward to the first stream!

I actually LOVE what EPIC is doing with their live streams, and thats where the idea for this came up.

Yes, I can definitely set up a QA thread specifically for the stream(s) when the date for them is set. I am thinking Fridays at 4PM EDT, 8PM GMT+0 (correct me on those timezones, I am horrible with them).

This sounds like a great idea! But please, Make sure you archive everything. There’s no way I’ll both be able to tune in and have time to watch more than a few tens of minutes.

Also: Don’t feel bad if you have to air a pre-recorded segment. If not screwing up on your only take is too difficult then don’t be afraid to prepare something ahead of time.

Sounds great I really look forward to it :smiley:

As long as the time works for me I’ll CERTAINLY watch the heck outta that!

I’d really like to get more behind-the-scenes stuff and future peeks at upcoming features. Especially since I now got some money “invested” in this. :smiley:

Thats kind of the idea for it. You guys have bought the game already (or got a free key from someone, you lucky duck). Why would we work on something that we can’t talk about.

That being said, it’s not going to be a glass window. Some things will not be talked about/mentioned because we don’t want to ruin the surprise for you guys!

Of course. :slight_smile:

Sensational.

Hey guys quick update!

This week I’ll be joined with one of our artists, Bard Fleistad, to talk about a some workshop mods, patch notes and more! After we’re done we’ll head in game and play some DM or TDM with all you!
Join us Thursday, May 21st at 4PM EST/8PM GMT over at twitch.tv/blackmesagame to tune in!

After wards, if you have feedback, post it back here.

Whoop Whoop, hope I’m back from hospital by then so I can watch it, the wifi here is like 56k dial up!

begins rushing mod

Take your time, do it right.

This (hopefully) won’t be the last show.

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.