Introducing: The New Crossbow Model!

Greetings all!

We’ve been a bit quiet on the forum front for a while, but we have been steadily toiling away on Content Update 2! Content Update 2 is going to be a huge, awesome update, and we’re super excited for the coming weeks. Over the next few weeks, I will be periodically showing off snippets of what’s to come in Content Update 2 to you guys. There’s a lot!

First up, in today’s post: CU2 will feature 3 new weapon models. The Crossbow, the Shotgun, and the Gluon. All are completely new models/textures. The Shotgun and Gluon still currently (and probably will continue to) use the old animations, the Crossbow has also been completely reanimated. Stylistically, the Crossbow and Shotgun are both quite different to the models which you can see in retail at the moment (which are the same as the mod release), and are now much closer to their HL1 counterparts, design wise. This is part of our effort to bring our viewmodels all up to the same high standard and ethic for design, and this marks an end to our weapon remodels. The Gluon is pretty much the same looking as it was before, just with a higher polycount and a cleaner texture.

Below you can see far too many screenshots of the new Crossbow. Please remember that this is still a work in progress! Feel free to discuss and comment. We’re very happy with how it’s turning out - I personally think we’ve kept the distinctive look and style of the HL1 Crossbow intact (it’s much less generic looking now), and kept it to a very high quality.

looks absolutely perfect!!

Awesome model you guys have so far.

It looks great! Don’t suppose we could get a side-by-side comparison with the old model, in the same light conditions and such?

That is super sexy and I can’t wait to tranquilize some marines with it.

Here are the comparison with the old and new Crossbow:

Original Images:
Old: https://imgur.com/ydbiINC
New: https://imgur.com/Bx1I53l

Edit:

Also, you guys done a great job with the newer Crossbow.

Holy S***! That’s truly awesome!

The new crossbow looks great!

The only problem with the weapons is the chamber used with the bullets.

When the chamber is empty after using the gun, when replacing it, u still see the bullets, arrows in it

Not any more. We did quite a bit of code work to get the new Crossbow working too. The clip now accurately reflects the number of darts you have left, and you can see them being pulled up into the chamber as he pulls back the bow. If you have 0 left, there’ll be 0 darts in the magazine and no bolt on the chamber either. It also has a separate empty reload animation, much like the Glock/MP5 do.

Oh my god it’s beautiful, oh my god it’s beautiful, oh my god it’s beautiful! <3

Good to hear!

I like that you decided to make it look classic. It’s very nice. My only complaints are, that the bow should have a bit more width. and the stock looks slightly fat. Can’t wait to see it in game :slight_smile:
Edit: I remember the wood below the scope had a slightly different shape in HL. Maybe it just gives a slightly different impression because of the viewmodel fov.

If there was an Official Chris Seal of Approval, this would have it.

looks so much better, and love the fact that the weapon is no longer mostly scope, the scope on the old model seemed more like it was taken off some high caliber sniper and set on a crossbow, the smaller scope fits it better.

this looks GREAT… love the new model

As for the shotgun, are you basing it off the HD pack version with the stock from classic or the original non-HD?

Will you guys be remaking the HUD icons as well to match the new models? I think some of the weapon icons differ from the actual models (the Tau Cannon for example)…

One more thing I’ve noticed: the bow uses the same UV space on both sides. Maybe make 2 seperate spaces so it doesn’t look identical.

Ignoring the fact that that would result in a loss of texture quality or having to double the resolution of the texture and waste a bunch of space, wood tends to have the grain look identical throughout the piece. I am currently staring at a door obviously built from strips of 2 alternating sources.
For the grain, using a separate UV space would actually make it less realistic, and for the grunge, nobody will ever notice ingame because you only see the other side briefly in a few idle animations.

Wow very impressive! :slight_smile:

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.