Having hands disappear during certain actions

I think that in certain actions your hands when holding a weapon should disappear in these situations:

Collecting ammo
Charging your suit
Climbing a ladder
Pulling a lever
Pressing a button
Opening and Closing a door
etc.

I hope to see this in the game because it seems a little more realistic that way.

Comment how good or bad this idea is if you’d like.

Update: I thought this idea was pretty stupid also.

BM’s gameplay is too fast for that to make sense. How about when you do some of those things in the middle of a firefight?

Not seeing your hands during those actions makes as much sense as seeing them holding a weapon when doing the exact same stuff.

The game is not meant to be realistic when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

I don’t think it’s that bad of an idea but if they haven’t implemented it (which i dont think they have/will) by this time in development, I don’t think it’ll happen.

First of all the Idea of having your hands disappear is to seem like Gordon is doing certain actions like someone really would. It would be unrealistic if someone was climbing a ladder holding a gun but they only climbed the ladder with their feet or Gordon had 4 arms. The same thing with activating a switch, opening a door, etc.

I would say that it’s okay to not have you hands disappear if your holding a pistol, revolver, grenade, crowbar or Tau cannon since you only use one hand to should them making the other hand free.

You want to know what I’m talking about it’s called physics and logic.

It wouldn’t make it seem any more realistic if his hands disappear while climbing a ladder, etc because you should be able to see your hands doing the stuff. It’s no more realistic to do what you’re saying than to just keep his hands on the gun.

You walk over weapons, ammo and medkits and you magically pick them up. Making the hands disappear won’t make that anymore realistic. Gordon won’t even crouch down to pick them up.

This suggestion adds absolutely nothing to the game and if anything, would be a bit annoying.

In Left 4 Dead they tried to fix this by giving you a visible (from first person) body.
Left 4 Dead isn’t as fast-paced as HLDM can be.

I think it’s either “make it look real”, or “admit that it’s a game and leave it as it is”. A half-solution would be a bad compromise.

Wait…Gordon doesn’t have 4 arms? :fffuuu:

I can understand having that when climbing a ladder, but when opening doors and charging your suit -considering that happens in pitched combat quite often- would be a pain in the ass.

There is no good looking way to implement your hands going down and back up without looking remedial and overall unnecessary. Again though, the ladder climbing is sorta ridiculous. But it was in all of the other Half Lifes, so I don’t see an issue.

If it bothers you that much just bind impulse 200 to a key. Then your hands will disappear whenever you want.

Of course he doesn’t have four arms.

I was giving examples of over analyzing how Gordon would climb up a ladder while holding a weapon but If you didn’t read the a certain section I said that when Gordon’s Holding the Pistol, Grenade, Tau cannon, Crowbar, or Revolver he holds them with one hand so he could use the other hand to do other things.

Do you know how difficult it is to climb a ladder with only one hand? It doesn’t make any sense no matter what you try to do to it.

Note: This is just an Idea I had, it’s most likely to be rejected anyway. So really you shouldn’t give a crap about this Idea. That’s why it’s called an Idea not a Demand.

Also I know it’s just a forum but sometimes you have got to just shut the hell up about some topics that nobody cares about.

The Reason I had this Idea is that in Freeman’s Mind (Link @ the bottom) Gordon
Normally doesn’t have his weapon’s out in certain situations which look’s realistic.

Freeman’s Mind 18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YQkjhKNfw&feature=related

(Do not read this if you really don’t care about climbing up a ladder with one hand)

Yeah Right I climbed ladder’s with one hand all the time when I was a kid and we had Nerf gun Fights. I even do it today when carrying a screwdriver to help my dad connect the cables for the internet.

On the subject of ammo and weapon pickups, it would look more like a glitch than anything.

Besides, why would gordon climb a ladder using his hands when he could just float up them at unnatural speeds like he does in all his other games?

It’s a video game. You’re fighting aliens that teleport from another dimension in to a huge underground science facility, and you’re concerned with trivial “realisms” like having your hands disappear when you climb ladders. Sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief.

In his defense though, none of that is theoretically impossible. Aliens could teleport to a huge underground science facility. But the scientists wouldn’t get magical powers because of it!

However, Half Life was never about gritty realism, so I don’t see why you’d change that.

Gordon picks up ammunition and climbs ladders with his large, prehensile penis, which is not visible on screen because it would block too much of the player’s FOV. I understand that, for realism’s sake, it should be visible, but it’s annoying and unnecessary from a gameplay perspective.

^
this

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.