Half-Life 2 in UE4? Sorta...

So, I came across a fan who was recreating some scenes from Half-Life 2 in UE4. Looks very nice. Check it out!

https://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156228

(It’s not the train station but the apartment block in City 17.)

This just makes me wonder what kind of visuals Source 2 can produce.

I guess it’s gonna beat alot of engines…

Like what? Valve is not an engine expert like Epic or Crytek, so I’m not expecting an engine to come out of them that will directly compete toe-to-toe with those established commercial engines.

It will probably be better than Unity tho, lol.

I would love to see this in action. Walk through the place (in my Oculus Rift, of course!) and just look around, even if there aren’t any characters around. :slight_smile:

My goodness this is gorgeous

well the engine used for Half Life 2 is still very good, the images are still top, even if the engine is old

Source was great when it came out but it quickly was outclassed by other engines and it never caught up. I understand you’re a fan but the reality is that Source 1 is an outdated engine based on older technologies that are no longer competitive these days. One of the reasons why Black Mesa has taken this long to make is precisely because the engine is quite tricky to work with and the tools are slow and inefficient.

We don’t really know much about Source 2 at this point, so I think it’s better to reserve judgment when it’s out there at last.

Kind of too bad that Valve never really took it upon themselves to improve Source. Like you said, Valve isn’t an engine design expert. It would probably still be outdated even if it was improved, but at least it wouldn’t be as far behind as it is now.

They improved it a ton over the years . Almost every new game added a new feature. The problem was that the core of the engine was limited by the technology of the day, so they Started from scratch and now they are about to release Source2, a better engine.
you see, valve does these hardware surveys from time to time and rather than making an engine that is tip top, they made an engine to work on the majority of hardware configs out there and that happens to be WinXP and DirectX 9. One of the reasons for Source2 is that Microshaft can’t get their collective heads out of their asses, and they bundle the latest greatest API with their latest OS, and if that becomes vista or 8, nobody upgrades. Microshaft themselves is why game devs are still putting out DX9 games. Source 2 does away with all of that, using open GL so their engine is truly cross platform. This is possible due to the rise in low grade mobile gaming popularity and the resulting push to improve OpenGL. So, Valve is an expert engine design company, and they are making an engine that won’t be outdated just after it is released

Can’t let it go, can you?

It’s like I’m back to the late 90’s when it was cool to hate M$, man.

Seriously, that childish insult to a corporation that doesn’t even know you exist only makes me not even try to take your post seriously.

You’re not even wrong but it’s just distracting and unnecessary.

What happened man. Was it that long ago? Did you really change that much? There was a time when you were a great troll. Your trolling was so epic that when Raminator banned you for a week, the whole forum cheered in celebration. People called it the greatest week of their lives. You, not anyone else, had such an effect on the black mesa source forums. We looked up to you, all of us.
So what happened man ? Remember when a few folks convinced the whole forum that you played an early beta of the mod? Remember that? I do too. What happened man. What happened

I grew up. Nice try, trying to make this about me, tho.

Back on topic, folks.

You used to be cool, but that matters not. The important thing that matters is the implementation of an open source game engine, with an open source advanced API like vulcan, which will allow for a much tighter control of graphical resources, and maybe even the ability of rendering over different types of graphics cards, akin to the physX system. Microshaft could have done this years ago as they are doing now, but instead they attempted to use their latest API as a way to force people to upgrade their OS to get better gaming graphics. This is why OoenGL, Vulcan, Source2 and SteamOS are so important in the long run

On a side note, There are is a HL2 total conversion mod for the Cry engine called Cry of Fear

Reminds me of those shots of the HL2 train station made in UE3. Those were some pretty shots.
Makes me really wish Half-Life 2 would get a Source 2 port. I already replay HL2 from time to time because the story and gameplay never gets old for me. I’d love a full graphical overhaul that Source 2 could bring.
That way we’d have an option other than the Cinematic mod. Never liked that thing.

“City 17: Unreal”

A fan remake of Half-Life 2 in the UE4 engine.

(Yeah, that’s probably not going to happen. For probably legal reasons.)

Why not, as long as the content is built (or rebuilt) from scratch and is free?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.