BM Steam Version not starting

Sooo I just bought the Steam Version of BM, and everything downloaded peachy, was going great, and then…when i started it, an error message popped up saying:

Game shader ‘game_shader_dx9.dll’ trying to override a base shader ‘BMS_Flare’

And it won’t start. I have removed the mod (thought maybe the mod was causing it the first time), and then I uninstalled and restarted my entire laptop (which updated Steam as well) and tried again. The same thing happened. Anyone gotta fix or an idea as to how or why this is happening? I’d like to play it xD

You’ve run as administrator?

Yes, I have.

¿You tried to get the executable in Windows XP compatibilty mode?

Yep, I did haha that is all i have tried. It still isn’t’ working.

¿ What is your graphics chip ?

[table]
[tr]
[td]Processor[/td]
[td]Intel® Core™ i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Manufacturer[/td]
[td]Intel[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Speed[/td]
[td]1.7 GHz[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Number of Cores[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]CPU ID[/td]
[td]BFEBFBFF00040651[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Family[/td]
[td]06[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Model[/td]
[td]45[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Stepping[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Revision[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Video Card[/td]
[td]Intel® HD Graphics Family[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Manufacturer[/td]
[td]Intel[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Chipset[/td]
[td]Intel® HD Graphics Family[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Dedicated Memory[/td]
[td]0 B[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Total Memory[/td]
[td]1.8 GB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Pixel Shader Version[/td]
[td]5.0[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Vertex Shader Version[/td]
[td]5.0[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Hardware T & L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Vendor ID[/td]
[td]8086[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Device ID[/td]
[td]0A16[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Plug and Play ID[/td]
[td]VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_F9101179&REV_0B[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Driver Version[/td]
[td]10.18.10.3412[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Memory[/td]
[td]6.1 GB[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Operating System[/td]
[td]Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Service Pack[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Size[/td]
[td]64 Bit[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Edition[/td]
[td]Basic[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Version[/td]
[td]6.2.9200[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Locale[/td]
[td]0409[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]BIOS[/td]
[td]1.20[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Version[/td]
[td]TOSHIBA 1.20[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Manufacturer[/td]
[td]TOSHIBA[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Date[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Display Maximum Resolution[/td]
[td]1366 x 768[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Sound Device[/td]
[td]Realtek High Definition Audio[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Driver Version[/td]
[td]6.0.1.7195[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]DVD[/td]
[td]TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]CD[/td]
[td]TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Drive[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Size[/td]
[td]687.9 GB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Free[/td]
[td]611.1 GB[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

That is all my system info.

Did you try updating DirectX? Looks like something related to it considering the “dx9” business.

DxDiag file might also be useful, not sure.

GUIDE: Setting up Source SDK for BM

I tried to speed up the download process by shoving the mod bm version into the common folder and hoping the cache check would pick it up as as valid, I also had shit all storage when I was trying to install the game

Your computer is below the minimum specs required for this game. Integrated graphics chips are not properly supported for Black Mesa, because they do not generally support HDR. What is likely happening is the Steam installer is trying to auto install DirectX 9 and failing because your integrated graphics chip does not support it. See if you can get DX9 to install, if not through the automated Steam, from Microsoft’s drivers. This should resolve your issues, though again, playing below the minimum specs is asking for trouble.

Updating Direct X worked like a charm. I know I am below but similar games with similar settings worked very well haha and I wanted to contribute to the game either way.

Glad to hear you got it working :slight_smile:

I’m still having this same issue. Updating Direct X did not work for myself, nor did any of the other fixes mentioned above. Below is a link to my system specs. Any help is appreciated.

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/EdjitFDie0wYrOY2a6Y7kg3

Thanks.

Aye, it worked once for me. Now, whenever i open it, I can’t access the options tab and I am missing the multiplayer tab as well. So it just has New Game, Load Game, Achievements, Options, and Quit Game.

It starts tho xD at least I have that going for me.

I’m having this same error. I just bought the steam edition. I’ve played it multiple times on the mod version. I’ve tried these fixes, I have direct x 11. I’m not sure what to do and this is the only topic I could find addressing it.

Yeah and it’s gone back to doing the same thing I originally posted. It works on my other laptop (which has even shittier capabilties but a slightly better amd graphics card than the crap i3 I have on my newer laptop), but I don’t have that laptop. My brother does.

For shits and giggles I deleted the dx9 file and it started, but once again there was no multiplayer option and it wouldn’t let me select any menu options.

Yeah, this is really frustrating. I was able to max this game out on the mod version no problems… Removing the .dll file allows me to launch the game, but I can’t access the options menu to change the resolution.

As a temporary workaround for your resolution issue, use the Steam laying parameters -w and -h
eg.

-w 1920 -h 1080

hi I got same error I just got black mesa from steam with exact same specs but the game won’t launch at all I checked taskmanger the game show for a sec then disappear idk why I for no errors

Founded in 2004, Leakfree.org became one of the first online communities dedicated to Valve’s Source engine development. It is more famously known for the formation of Black Mesa: Source under the 'Leakfree Modification Team' handle in September 2004.